Porcelain Veneers Replacement
Cosmetic imperfections, like discoloration, gaps, chips, and cracks can detract from the appearance of your smile. Porcelain veneers are custom-made prosthetics that effectively hide these flaws and bring balance and symmetry to your appearance.
Drs. Nathan Podilsky and Leah Stempfle offer porcelain veneers at our Edmonton, AB, practice. Though veneers are incredibly strong and resilient, they will not last forever. Here, our team explains how to know when it is time for porcelain veneers replacement as well as how you can extend the lifespan of your veneers.
Why Do Porcelain Veneers Fail?
Veneers may fracture or fail for many reasons. You may have sustained trauma from an accident or sports injury. Perhaps you suffer from bruxism and the constant grinding eventually damaged your veneers. Whatever the reason, it is important to address the issue right away. Leaving the problem unaddressed can lead to more significant issues like decay, infection, or gum disease.
Signs it Is Time for Porcelain Veneers Replacement
If your veneers become worn or damaged, you may notice a few warning signs. You may require porcelain veneer replacement if:
- Your veneers are visibly cracked, chipped, broken, or worn down.
- The tooth structure underneath your veneer has become more sensitive.
- One or more veneers begin to separate from the natural teeth.
- You notice gingival redness, swelling, tenderness, or other signs of gum disease.
- Your veneers are more than 15 years old.
Sometimes patients do not experience any of the symptoms mentioned above. That is why regular dental visits are so important. Our doctors can detect problems early and treat them before they worsen.
Replacing Porcelain Veneers
The porcelain veneers replacement process is similar to the initial treatment. First, the damaged veneers must be removed. Once that step is complete, impressions are taken and sent to a dental lab. There, a ceramist will use those impressions to create your new veneers. In the meantime, temporary veneers are placed to protect your teeth.
When your new veneers are ready, you will be scheduled for a second appointment at our Edmonton office. Your dentist will ensure your new veneers fit properly and blend in with your smile. Finally, your veneers are bonded into place.
Extend the Lifespan of Your Veneers
Typically, veneers last between 10 and 15 years on average. They can last even longer with proper maintenance. Follow these guidelines to ensure your veneers stay in excellent condition:
- Brush regularly using a non-abrasive fluoride gel.
- Floss once every day.
- Limit your intake of sugary beverages, such as sodas and fruit juices.
- Rinse your mouth with water after every meal to wash away food and debris.
- Wear a mouthguard if you suffer from bruxism.
- Wear a mouthguard if you participate in contact sports.
- Never use your teeth as tools.
- Avoid tobacco products.
Contact Our Practice to Learn More
If you currently have veneers or are considering this type of treatment it is important to know how to properly maintain your veneers. To learn more, schedule an appointment at our Edmonton practice by calling (780) 428-6846. You can also contact us online anytime.