Excess gum tissue can make the teeth look small and uneven. If you suffer from a “gummy” smile, laser gum reshaping may be just what you've been looking for. Edmonton dentist Nathaniel Podilsky offers laser gum reshaping to quickly and effectively contour your gums.
What Is Laser Gum Reshaping?
Laser gum reshaping is a cosmetic dental procedure used to contour the gum tissue. A dental laser is the tool of choice for this procedure as dental lasers produce better results than tradition scalpels, in addition to less pain and a quicker recovery.
Treatment begins with a local anesthetic to numb the gums. The dental laser is then used to gently remove excess gum tissue. Most find the procedure to be almost painless. Pain is usually mild and can be relieved with ibuprofen or Tylenol. Aspirin-based pain relievers should be avoided as they can increase bleeding. Full recovery may take a couple of weeks, though it is not uncommon to reach recovery sooner (some are healed within a few days).
During the healing process you should avoid hard, crunchy foods, like corn chips, as they can stab and irritate the gums. Also avoid foods with small seeds and popcorn, as the small pieces can lodge between the teeth and gums and prevent healing. Special care must be taken when brushing and flossing your teeth following laser gum reshaping. Rinsing with warm salt water is often recommended to ease discomfort and keep the gums clean.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Gum Reshaping?
Candidates for laser gum reshaping should have healthy gums and teeth and be in overall good health. Here are some other common traits of laser gum reshaping candidates:
- “Gummy” smile: For those who have too much gum showing when they smile, laser gum reshaping can correct the appearance of the gums.
- Uneven gums: Uneven gums no longer have to be a source of insecurity with laser gum reshaping. Laser gum reshaping can give you an even smile you'll want to show off.
- Gums that make teeth look small or long: If your gums cover your teeth, making them look small, laser gum reshaping can be used to remove excess gum tissue. The appearance of long teeth can also be improved with gum contouring.
- Aesthetics: For those who are unhappy with their smiles due to their gums, laser gum reshaping can be used to correct the gum line and improve overall aesthetics.
- Needed for periodontal procedures: Some periodontal procedures requiring laser gum contouring to fit dental crowns, adjust for crown lengthening, or to reduce pockets.
- Combination treatment: For our patients in Edmonton, porcelain veneers are commonly used to improve the shape, color, or size of teeth, while laser gum reshaping is used to produce a more symmetrical, proportional gum line.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Nathaniel Podilsky
You can have a beautifully sculpted smile. Find out if laser gum reshaping is the right procedure for you. Contact us today to schedule your very own consultation with Dr. Podilsky.