Cleaning Your Invisalign Aligners
Invisalign® is a teeth straightening treatment that addresses the most common malocclusion problems more discreetly and comfortably than traditional braces. While patients are progressing through Invisalign treatment, they wear a series of clear, plastic aligners.
Invisalign aligners are made of durable plastic materials that are virtually invisible, but they can become discolored or damaged if they are not cleaned and cared for properly. Dr. Nathaniel Podilsky provides tips for cleaning and caring for Invisalign aligners to help our Downtown Edmonton, Alberta patients maintain a healthy and attractive smile throughout treatment.
How Often Should Aligners Be Cleaned?
Invisalign aligners are meant to be worn for at least 20 to 22 hours per day. Although the aligners should not be worn while a patient is eating or drinking, they can still collect bacteria that builds up around the teeth and gums.
To minimize the risk of dental complications during Invisalign treatment and prevent odor or discoloration, patients need to clean their aligners regularly. Aligners should be rinsed every time that they are removed, and they should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a day.
Tips for Cleaning Aligners
Invisalign aligners are easy to clean, as long as our Downtown Edmonton patients follow a few simple tips:
- Rinse the aligners each time they are taken out of the mouth
- Brush the aligners at least once a day
- Clean the aligners at the same time each day to make it easier to develop a daily habit
- Soak the Invisalign aligners in an Invisalign cleaning solution
- Brush aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Do not use toothpaste on Invisalign aligners
- Brush the aligners with a special cleaning solution or clear, unscented anti-bacterial soap
- Use small, circular strokes to brush all surfaces of the aligners, both inside and out
- Never put aligners back on dirty teeth; be sure to rinse or brush after each meal
Tips for Caring for Aligners
Cleaning is one important aspect of caring for Invisalign aligners, but there are other steps that our Downtown Edmonton patients need to take to keep their aligners protected so that they do not become damaged during treatment.
- Always carry an Invisalign retainer case
- Remove aligners before eating or drinking anything besides water
- As soon as Invisalign aligners are removed from the mouth, rinse them, dry them, and then place them in a case
- Avoid rinsing aligners with hot water, which could warp the shape of the aligners
- Keep aligner cases closed to block out harmful bacteria
- Never place Invisalign aligners on a plate or napkin, where they can mistakenly be thrown away
- When it is time to transfer to a new set of aligners, clean and store the previous aligners in case they need to be used again
Invisalign is the most discreet teeth straightening treatment available. If you would like to learn more about the Invisalign process or you have more questions about caring for your aligners, send us a message at your earliest convenience. You can also call (780) 428-6846 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Nathaniel Podilsky.