What to Look for in a Cosmetic Dentist
So you’re considering a dental procedure - but first you need to find a dentist you trust. It can be tempting to stick with the first dentist you find, but not all dentists are alike in experience or training and the wrong choice can leave you disappointed.
For the best results, you need to find an experienced board-certified dentist - and for the most aesthetically beautiful results, you need to find a practitioner who focuses in the area of cosmetic dentistry. If you are searching for a cosmetic dentist in the Edmonton area, it is important that you know what to look for before you make your choice.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
What separates cosmetic dentistry from general or restorative dentistry? The practice of cosmetic dentistry is aesthetically based, aiming to give patients brighter and more beautiful smiles by correcting such cosmetic flaws as chipped, misshaped, or discolored teeth. Cosmetic dentistry tends to involve such procedures as:
- Dental Bonding
- Tooth Contouring and Reshaping
- Tooth Whitening
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Implants
- Porcelain Crowns
- Invisalign® Clear Braces
- Gum Reshaping
- Full Mouth Restoration
While the name implies that cosmetic dentistry techniques are only superficial, in many cases, can drastically improve functional issues with your teeth as well.
What Should I Look For in a Cosmetic Dentist?
You know what cosmetic dentistry has to offer, but how can you tell which cosmetic dentist is right for you? To make sure that you connect with a properly skilled cosmetic dentist, it is important to keep some things in consideration during your search:
- Is Your Cosmetic Dentist Educated? Any dentist worth visiting, cosmetic or otherwise, will take pride in having received an education from an accredited dental program. Furthermore, a good cosmetic dentist knows that learning never stops - as techniques grow more advanced every year, a dentist should be taking additional courses to keep up with the latest findings and technology. Dr. Podilsky earned his dental degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1982, and has furthered his education ever since to stay at the forefront of his profession.
- Is Your Cosmetic Dentist Experienced? Education is vital, but the best results come with practice. When researching a cosmetic dentist, find out how long he or she has been practicing. Dr. Podilsky has been working steadily in the field of cosmetic dentistry for three decades.
- Is Your Cosmetic Dentist Certified? Your cosmetic dentist should be accepted and approved by peers and have the credentials to prove it. Dr. Podilsky is a member of the Canadian Dental Association and the Alberta Dental Association. Always consult a new dentist to see if he or she is an active member of professional dental organizations.
- Does Your Cosmetic Dentist Have Proven Results? Skilled cosmetic dentists are proud of their results. Search your prospective cosmetic dentist’s website for before-and-after images for a preview of what’s in store for your own smile.
Contact a Cosmetic Dentist Today
Now that you know what to look for, you are ready to begin your search for a cosmetic dentist. For a consultation with Dr. Podilsky, contact our Edmonton practice and schedule an appointment today.