Smile Design Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take?
Smile transformations can take anywhere from three weeks to several months depending on each individual situations. If the teeth, gums are healthy with a good bite then the time is about three to four weeks depending on your schedule, the lab’s schedule and Dr. Podilsky’s schedule.
If a gum lift is required then one should wait until the gums are healthy and healed. This could take about eight to ten weeks before the smile designs is even started.
If implants are involved then the time line can be increased to six months to a year. This is to allow the implants to get integrated in the bone and to allow for maximum healing of the gums.
Can smokers undergo a Smile Design?
This is not an issue in general but does depend on the type of Cosmetic procedure planned. Smokers do have an increase in periodontal disease or gum disease.
Smoking can also limit teeth from becoming whitened. There is an increase failure rate of implants since it increases the risk of osseointegration to be successful.
How old does a person need to be before they can have a Smile Design?
As a general rule a person should be over the age of 20 years. Age is also dependent on what type of procedure is required. Whitening can be done on older teens. Porcelain veneers are usually not done until after the age of 20 because they are irreversible. If Orthodontics is involved the individuals should start in their early teens (10 to 12 years of age) to take advantage of their growth spurts.
What is the procedure?
The Procedure is similar to the procedure mentioned previously when we discussed the procedure for porcelain veneers. The exception here is that a smile design involves an entire smile transformation and therefore requires more planning and consultation with the patient.
To learn more about how you can benefit from a smile design, contact our Edmonton, Alberta practice today.
New Smile Questionnaire
Use this questionnaire to help determine your feelings about your smile.
1. What bothers you the most about your smile? _______________________________________________________________
2. Are there any spaces that you do not like? Yes/No Is there a need for more space? Yes/No Is crowding a problem? Yes/No Explain: _______________________________________________________________
3. (Look for esthetic problems) Ask yourself: “Does that (chip, stain, etc.) bother me?" Yes/No Explain: _______________________________________________________________
4. Do you like the shape of your teeth? Yes/No Explain: _______________________________________________________________
5. Do you like the way your bottom teeth and top teeth fit together? Yes/No Explain: _______________________________________________________________
6. Do you have any discolored or old fillings that bother you or that you don’t like seeing when you smile? Yes/No
7. Are your teeth as bright as you would like? Yes/No Explain: _______________________________________________________________
8. How would you like your smile to look? _______________________________________________________________
9. Has anyone ever shown you what you’d look like if you changed your smile? Yes/No